Gardiner, Maine — November 30, 2007 – Blue Marble Geographics (www.bluemarblegeo.com) announces the release of Geographic Calculator 7.0, a major version upgrade of the Geographic Calculator that features many new enterprise-wide collaboration tools and core library enhancements. These tools extend the power of the Calculator to enable geospatial data definition, manipulation and management across the user’s organization. This is the most comprehensive upgrade to the Geographic Calculator since its inception. Blue Marble’s coordinate conversion technology is used worldwide by thousands of GIS analysts at software companies, universities, oil and gas companies, civil engineering, surveying, technology, enterprise GIS groups, government and military organizations.
As always, the Calculator will still have the same great look and feel right out of the box, so long-standing users will still be very comfortable with the software. However, the interface is now extremely flexible and customizable. This version introduces dockable windows, workspace settings that can be saved and shipped to other users, administrative tools that can be used to lock down editing of the coordinate datasource to protect definitions and guide users, an extension allowing the use of the Calculator in ArcGIS, complete FLEXnet licensing for easier porting of licenses and WAN usage, a data source merge tool, the ability to transform between any datum (not just WGS84) and much, much more.
7.0 now sits on the GeoCalc 6.3 library, leveraging the largest coordinate data source available with over 3500 pre-defined coordinate definitions and thousands of other geodetic objects. There are new interfaces that allow the user to query and edit objects, as well as a new geographically organized data tree with search tools that make finding objects much easier and faster. The data source is now signed’ so the user is notified when objects are manually edited without the dialogues.
New features of Geographic Calculator 7.0 include:
- Administrative tools for quality assurance, enabling “lock-down” of a particular data source, securing true definitions and avoiding data corruption
- Administrative tools for filtering objects so that users only see the objects their administrator chooses
- Datum Shift envelopes that can be used to assign the appropriate datum shift for a particular geographic envelope
- Direct connection to the new OGP WRS Registry Dataset (the online version of the EPSG database) which is used as a standard for the Oil & Gas Exploration industry
- Administrative controls that offer managers the ability to select a specific datum transformation method when converting coordinates between two coordinate systems, whether the system is WGS84, or any other system
- Read and write to all ODBC databases including MS Access, Oracle, MySql, Sql Server and others
- Updated file support for all the major GIS and CAD formats, as well as new GML support
“The main features included in this version were a result of an aggressive product development campaign that was very much customer-driven”, stated Blue Marble President Patrick Cunningham. “We listened to our customers to address their wish lists, and to expand on those requests to introduce tools that can really improve the quality geospatial data management across their organizations.”
About Blue Marble Geographics: Blue Marble Geographics of Gardiner, Maine is a leading developer and provider of geographic software products that provide sensible solutions for users and developers of geographic data. Blue Marble has been writing GIS software tools and solutions for 14 years and currently serves hundreds of thousands of users worldwide. Learn more at www.bluemarblegeo.com
Blue Marble Geographics
Gardiner, ME, USA
800-616-2725 / 207-582-6747