Applied Geodesy and Geographic Calculator Training Online
This two day session (8 hours total) covers the foundations and principles of Geodesy and mapping. Whether you're an expert in GIS or just starting out, this course is essential to understanding the real concepts behind mapping. The class includes a detailed overview of coordinate transformation, coordinate system definitions, and geodesy. Attendees walk through the features and functions of the Geographic Calculator software including interactive conversions, point database conversions, vector data conversions, and working with custom coordinate systems. This is a great opportunity to apply the key geodetic concepts with the software.
This is a hands-on program so you'll need to have the latest version of the Geographic Calculator installed. If necessary, a temporary license file will be provided to enable all of the functionality of the software for the duration of the class. Users are encouraged to bring their own data for these sessions.
Are you interested in becoming a certified Geographic Calculator user? All attendees who successfully complete the two-day course will be issued an official certificate of completion and will be recognized as a certified user. For more information on the benefits of certification click here.
This class does not require significant experience with geodesy and is approached at a practical user level in order to bring new users up to speed or refresh more experienced users on concepts and terminology encountered in geodesy.
Day 1 Sessions- 9 AM to 11 AM and 2 PM to 4 PM (U.S. EDT)
This lecture/discussion-style session encourages open dialog with attendees and reviews concepts of basic geodetics such as:
- Ellipsoid and datum models and their significance
- The significance of prime meridian
- The role of GPS-era systems in modern work
- Historic regional models versus modern global models
- Common types of coordinate systems
- Units of measure and unique problem areas
- Coordinate transformations (commonly known as datum transformations)
- Methods and their significance
- Accuracies commonly associated with methods
- The regional nature of transformation parameters
- Time-based transformations
- Vertical datum transformations
- Common issues encountered with transformations
- Vertical datums & geoid models
- Map projections and their properties
- Scale factor & convergence
- Distortions of distance, angles, areas, and direction
- Common map projections
- Selection of projections
Day 2 Sessions- 9 AM to 11 AM and 2 PM to 4 PM (U.S. EDT)
Designed for the beginner to intermediate Geographic Calculator user, with a hands-on approach, attendees will explore the following topics:
- The interface and capabilities of the Geographic Calculator
- Managing workspaces
- Sharing data between multiple users
- Interactive conversions jobs
- Coordinate conversions
- Coordinate transformations
- Saving reports and logs of conversions
- Forward/Inverse calculations - distance & azimuth between points
- Point database conversions
- Supported formats
- Calculations of basic spreadsheet data
- Vectorizations of tabular data
- Batch processing
- Import/Export of ASCII data
- Forward/Inverse calculations
- Seismic data conversions
- Importing and loading of standard and non-standard seismic data
- Coordinate conversions/transformations of seismic data
- Batch processing of seismic data
- Vector data conversions
- Supported formats
- Format specific capabilities
- Conversions/Transformations of vector data
- Batch processing
- Using the viewer
- Loading data
- Using the viewer for data inspection
Multiple Attendee Registrations
If you intend to register five or more attendees from your company or organization for the class, please email email@example.com to confirm that enough seats are available.
Pricing & Registration
Applied Geodesy Training (2 Days)
May 12, 2021 - May 13, 2021
9-11AM & 2-4PM EDT*
$399.00 USD per person
* Dates and locations are subject to change. Please contact us directly prior to making any travel arrangements.
** Registration may close without advance notice if the available slots are filled.
There are no refunds or store credits for training classes if canceled 14 days or less from the date of the event.
Please review our Refund Policy before purchase.