At a fraction of the cost of comparable applications, the Global Mapper LiDAR Module® is a must-have for anyone using or managing terrestrial or airborne LiDAR as well as other point cloud datasets.
LiDAR Module Overview
The Global Mapper LiDAR Module is an optional enhancement to the software that provides numerous advanced LiDAR processing tools, including Pixels-to-Points™ for photogrammetric point cloud creation from an array of drone or UAV-collected images, 3D model or mesh creation from a point cloud, automatic point cloud classification, automatic extraction of buildings, trees and powerlines, cross-sectional viewing and point editing, custom digitizing or extraction of 3D line and area features, dramatically faster surface generation, LiDAR quality control, and much more.
Not Using Global Mapper? Download or Purchase Global Mapper to Activate the LiDAR Module
Key functionality offered in the LiDAR Module includes:
- Pixels-to-Points tool for creating a high-density point cloud, 3D mesh, and orthoimage from overlapping drone or UAV-collected images
- 3D mesh creation from selected LiDAR points
- A convenient LiDAR Toolbar for easy access to key editing and analysis functions
- Multiple gridding options for faster DSM or DTM generation
- Access to point cloud files containing a billion points or more
- Automatic point classification tools for classifying building, ground, vegetation, power lines, utility poles and noise
- Feature extraction functionality to automatically create 3D building footprints, trees, utility poles and power lines,
- Cross-sectional rendering using Global Mapper's Path Profile tool for viewing and editing the point cloud in a vertical perspective
- 3D Digitizing or custom feature extraction using the perpendicular profile function
- Advanced filtering options to efficiently remove erroneous or unneeded points
- Proximity query function to identify points of a certain class encroaching on other points or line features
- Customizable identification and reclassification of noise points
- A point cloud change detection tool that creates a new layer containing points that are significantly offset when comparing two point cloud layers
- LiDAR scripting commands for streamlining workflow
- Point colorization from underlying imagery or a gridded layer
- A LiDAR QC tool for correcting point cloud elevations using ground control points
- Multiple point cloud visualization options including by classification, intensity, elevation, RGB, and point density
- Support for reporting LiDAR statistics
- Point cloud thinning, including variable 3D thinning
- Support for importing and exporting most common point cloud formats
- Support for NIR (near-infrared) point attributes with the option to create a NDVI or NDWI grid
- LiDAR sorting optimization to improve display and analysis speed.
Low-Cost LiDAR Processing
The enhanced LiDAR analysis and editing functionality in the Global Mapper LiDAR module is offered at a significantly lower price than similar applications. The cost of activating this module is on par with the cost of purchasing a copy of Global Mapper with flexible licensing options available for network, enterprise, and academic use. For more information, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Recent Developments in the LIDAR Module
The most significant recent addition to the suite of tools in the LiDAR Module is the Pixels-to-Points tool, and many of the new functions in the latest release are improvements to this component. Among the highlights of Global Mapper LiDAR Module version 21 and 21.1 releases are:
- Automatic identification and reclassification of utility poles from a point cloud layer. Supplementing the existing powerline or utility cable reclassification capability, this powerful addition identifies a cylindrical pattern of points in a high-density point cloud, and reclassifies these points as power poles.
- New masking option in the Pixels-to-Points tool to eliminate uniform background colors from images.
A common problem in photogrammetric analysis is the inclusion of large areas of uniformly colored pixels in the source images. This new tool is used to eliminate unrequired areas, such as sky or water, from the analysis.
- Reorganized Pixels-to-Points dialog box with larger Image Preview window.
Improving the usability of the tool, this UI redesign, makes it easier to work with individual images for ground control assignment, masking, etc.
- New option in the Pixels-to-Points tool for orthorectifying each camera image.
In previous versions, the orthoimage output was based on the accumulated extent of all of the images. New in version 21 is the option to limit the orthoimage output to the extent of individual images.
- New function for displaying the approximate ground coverage polygons for selected images in the Pixels-to-Points tool.
A simple but powerful addition to the Pixels-to-Points tool, the option to create coverage polygons for selected images provides a clear visual representation of coverage and level of overlap between adjacent images.
- New Pixels-to-Points function for identifying images that may contain ground control points based on their location.
Up until now, the identification of individual images that contain a specific ground control point has been a manual process. With the release of version 21, images that are likely to include a control point are highlighted, making the process of tagging the point much more efficient.
- New tool that finds the best-fit match between LiDARlidar or point cloud layers and automatically shifts one to match the other.
- New point cloud change detection tool that creates a new layer containing points that are significantly offset when comparing two point cloud layers.
The Global Mapper LiDAR Module is embedded in the standard version of the software and is activated using an appropriate license file or order number. As with the full version of Global Mapper, the LiDAR Module can be activated on a trial basis by requesting a temporary license. Click here for instructions on how to activate the module.