The day has come when you have received a computer upgrade at work, or you finally splurged on a new laptop. The excitement and joy of finally having a faster computer with better graphics and a new operating system can quickly be diminished by the laborious task of transferring files and software to the new machine. This blog aims to walk you through the process of how to move your single-user license of Global Mapper to a new computer.
This entire process can be broken down into three simple steps:
- Find the correct Global Mapper installation files.
- Release your current license.
- Activate your license on a new computer.
1. Download GM Installation Files to the New Computer
To start, check the version number of your installation of Global Mapper. If you have a version that is less than two years old, you will be able to download the installation files directly from the Blue Marble website to your new machine. If you have an older version, you will need to move the installation files manually to the new computer. If you no longer have the installation files for your legacy version, you will need to renew your Maintenance and Support. Please contact email@example.com for any renewal questions.
2. Release the License from the Old Computer
Before you can move your license to a new computer, it is crucial that you release your license first. You will not be able to activate your license on a new computer until your old activation is released.
- Open Global Mapper on the machine you wish to remove the license from. Navigate to Help and select License Manager… from the drop-down menu, and the window below will open:
- Un-check the box next to the license, or select the Release button next to the software license you would like to remove.
- If applicable, press Release for any Extensions that need to be removed.
- Once completed, this action will replace the license file on that computer with a removal code. If the computer has access to the internet, the removal confirmation will be sent to the Blue Marble license server, releasing your license. If successfully sent, you will then be able to activate your license on a new computer.
- If your computer is offline or older, your removal confirmation will not be automatically completed.
- In this situation, copy the removal code to the computer’s clipboard. Furthermore, the removal code will be contained in a file named ‘GlobalMapper.lic_removed’ in the following directory location for most computers: C:\ProgramData\GlobalMapper\GlobalMapper[your version number].
- Please send in the removal code and the file with the removal code to firstname.lastname@example.org for our licensing team to process and authorize.
3. Activate the New License
Once your old license has been released and the correct version of Global Mapper has been installed on your new computer, you can activate your license. Before beginning the licensing process, please remove your computer from all external hardware, including docking stations. Then, for online activation, use your most current, complete order number. You can also follow the detailed steps in Part I of Global Mapper’s Knowledge Base.
If you have any questions or run into any problems moving your license, our Licensing Team is available Monday – Friday, 8 am – 5 pm Eastern Standard Time by email at email@example.com.