The Global Mapper LiDAR Module is an optional enhancement to the software that provides numerous advanced LiDAR processing tools, including automatic point cloud classification, automatic extraction of buildings, trees, and powerlines, cross-sectional viewing and point editing, custom digitizing or extraction of 3D line and area features, dramatically faster surface generation, and much more. At a fraction of the cost of comparable applications, it is a must-have for anyone using or managing terrestrial or airborne LiDAR as well as other point cloud datasets.
Additional functionality offered in the LiDAR Module includes:
- A convenient LiDAR Toolbar for easy access to key editing and analysis functions
- Multiple gridding options for faster DSM or DTM generation
- Access to point cloud files containing a billion points or more
- Automatic point classification tools that automatically distinguish building, ground, vegetation and power lines and above-ground utility cables in unclassified layers
- Feature extraction functionality to automatically create 3D building footprints, trees and power lines
- Cross-sectional rendering using Global Mapper's Path Profile tool for viewing and editing the point cloud in a vertical perspective
- 3D Digitizing or custom feature extraction using the perpendicular profile function
- Advanced filtering options to efficiently remove erroneous or unneeded points
- Customizable detection and reclassification of noise points
- LiDAR scripting commands for streamlining workflow
- Point colorization from underlying imagery offering photo-realistic point cloud rendering in Global Mapper's 3D Viewer
- Support for reporting LiDAR statistics
- Support for importing and exporting most common LiDAR formats
- Support for NIR (near-infrared) data
The LiDAR Module was first released with Global Mapper v15 and a host of new LiDAR tools have since been added. Building on the existing functionality for identifying ground, building, and vegetation points in an unclassified point cloud, version 17 of the module, which was released in September 2015, includes a powerful new tool for detecting and automatically reclassifying above-ground utility lines. After customizing the reclassification parameters, such as minimum height above ground and linear offset threshold, the points representing power lines are automatically attributed with the Wire - Conductor ASPRS LIDAR class. Analysis of linear patterns in these reclassified points can subsequently be used to create 3D vector lines.
Addressing a major concern among LiDAR users, the latest release of the Global Mapper LiDAR Module provides an efficient and effective way to remove noise from point cloud data. This powerful filtering tool can reclassify or automatically delete any points that are beyond a prescribed elevation or height above ground threshold within a local area. Other enhancements to the module include dramatically faster data rendering and processing as well as updated filtering tools for selecting and, if necessary, removing points based on class, return intensity, color range, and many other parameters.
The module also offers a powerful new 3D feature extraction or digitizing tool. Utilizing the new perpendicular profiling function, a series of points can be placed in successive profile views resulting in the creation of 3D areas or line features. This provides a very easy way to digitize highly accurate 3D features from LiDAR or terrain data, such as road edge and curb lines, powerlines, and buildings.
For a complete list of recent enhancements visit the Latest Changes tab.
The enhanced LiDAR analysis and editing functionality in the Global Mapper LiDAR module is offered at a significantly lower price than similar applications. The cost of activating this module is on par with the cost of purchasing a copy of Global Mapper with flexible licensing options for available for network, enterprise, and academic use. For more information, contact email@example.com.
The Global Mapper LiDAR Module is embedded in the standard version of the software and is activated using an appropriate license file or order number. As with the full version of Global Mapper, the LiDAR Module can be activated on a trial basis by requesting a temporary license. Click here for instructions on how to activate the module.