Installing and Configuring the Network License for Global Mapper
IMPORTANT NOTE: Part I and Part II provide instructions on how to install the FLEXnet 11.4 license server software, which is a separate component from the Global Mapper software installation in Part III.
Part I - Installing the Network Server Software
1. Upon purchase of a network license of Global Mapper, you will receive an e-mail with instructions to download a ZIP file containing a GM_Flex folder (Figure 1).
Figure 1. Extract the ZIP file to a directory on your application server.
2. Verify that ports 27000-27010 on your chosen FLEXnet license server are not blocked by any routers, firewalls, or other hardware or software security measures. Please contact your network administrator if you are not sure about this step.
3. Unzip the GM_Flex folder to your chosen FLEXnet license server. We recommend that you do NOT run Global Mapper from a FLEXnet server machine.
NOTE: To avoid configuration problems, Flexera recommends that you keep the path to the GM_Flex folder as short and simple as possible.
4. Open the LMTOOLS.EXE application in the GM_Flex folder. You will find this program in the selection of files you just extracted on the server (Figure 2).
Figure 2. Run lmtools.exe from the directory on your application server.
5. On the Service/License File tab of LMTools (Figure 3), please select the 'Configuration using Services' radio button.
Figure 3. Select the Configuration using Services radio button option.
6. Click on the System Settings tab of LMTools (Figure 4).
Figure 4. Clicking the System Settings tab opens the dialog shown above.
7. In the 'HostId Settings' group on the System Settings tab, you will see fields labeled 'Ethernet Address', 'IP Address', and 'Computer/Hostname'. You must report the 'Ethernet Address' AND the 'IP Address' OR 'Computer/Hostname' to Blue Marble Geographics via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone.
NOTE: Please do NOT use IP Address if your FLEXnet server does not have a fixed IP address (typical if you are on a DHCP network.)
IMPORTANT: If using a laptop with a docking station, you must activate the software in the undocked state. If you have both wireless and fixed NICs, please disable the wireless/NIC temporarily before activating the software and then activate using a wired connection.
8. Once you give us your FLEXnet server information, Blue Marble Geographics will supply you with a secure, custom license file.
Part II - Configuring the Network Service
Once you have received the GlobalMapper.lic license file from Blue Marble Geographics, please complete the following steps:
1. Please place your GlobalMapper.lic license file in the directory on the server from which the network service will run (where you put the contents of the GM_Flex.zip file in Part I Step 1) as shown in Figure 5.
Figure 5. Place the license file in the network service directory on your application server.
2. Now that the license file is installed, you can start the license server. Run the LMTOOLS.EXE program from the server.
3. Click on the Config Services tab of LMTools (Figure 7).
Figure 6. Clicking the Config Services tab opens the dialog shown above.
4. Fill in the 'Service Name' field (Figure 7) with a meaningful name of your choice, such as 'GMService' or 'GlobalMapper'.
Figure 7. Fill in the required parameters to configure the service.
5. Set 'Path to the lmgrd.exe file' to reflect the path to the directory on the server from which the network service will run (Figure 8).
Figure 8. Fill in the required parameters to configure the service.
6. Set the 'Path to the license file' to the same directory (Figure 9).
Figure 9. Fill in the required parameters to configure the service.
7. Set the 'Path to the debug log file' to the directory where you want the system to write the log file (Figure 10). Don't forget to specify a filename for the log file as part of the 'Path to the debug log field' field.
Figure 10. Fill in the required parameters to configure the service.
8. If you want the license server to run as a Windows service (recommended), check the 'Use services' check box. This will enable the 'Start Server at Power Up' check box. Check this if you want the service to start when the server is turned on or rebooted.
9. Click the 'Save Service' button to store your settings for the service.
10. You are now ready to start the license server. Click the Start/Stop/Reread tab of LMTools (Figure 11).
11. Click on 'Start Server' to run the license server service. The status line at the bottom of the dialog (Figure 11) should read "Server Start Successful".
Figure 11. After clicking the Start Server button, the dialog at the bottom of the Start/Stop/Reread tab says "Server Start Successful."
12. To stop the server at any time, simply click on the Stop Server button. You must check 'Force Server Shutdown' to stop the server when BORROW licenses are checked out.
Part III - Configuring the Network Client
Once you have installed and configured the Global Mapper service on the server, please install the Global Mapper application to the client PC. After installing the application, please follow these steps to license the client:
1. Open the Global Mapper application.
2. In the Register Global Mapper dialog that appears, select the "Connect to a Network License Server" option (Figure 12).
Figure 12. Register Global Mapper dialog with "Connect to a Network License Server" selected.
3. Click "Register Me!"
4. The "Network License Information" dialog will appear.
5.Enter the server name (bmgpc in Figure 4) and port setting if different than 27000. Click Finish (Figure 13). Your Global Mapper is now licensed via a network connection.
Figure 13. Clicking Finish to establish local area connection to network server.
6. If you want to borrow a license so that you can disconnect from the network, please click the checkbox "Use a borrowed license" before clicking Finish (Figure 14).
Figure 14. Checkbox activated, users can now specify a date to borrow a license until.